Put a spin on your basic Mediterranean recipe for falafels! Add sweet potato and corn. The falafels will come out perfectly crisp on the outside, moist on the inside and full of flavor. Not only are they tasty, they’re protein packed and easy to make. Give em’ a try.
This recipes makes 18 to 20 falafels.
- 1 medium-large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 cans chickpeas, cooked
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup sweet corn, drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp sriracha
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
How to Make It
1. Pierce the sweet potato and place in the microwave on high for 10 minutes or until soft. If you don’t have a microwave, peel and then boil until soft.
2. Place the oats in a food processor and blitz until it resembles flour. Add the drained chickpeas, roughly chopped onion and garlic. Blitz until chickpeas are mostly broken down. I like to leave some chunky bits.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Once the sweet potato is cooked, cut in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh.
4. Add to the bowl and mix everything together.
5. Pop the mixture in the fridge for half hour to firm up, if it seems too soft. If the mixture seems too wet, add a little flour. If it’s dry add a little water.
6. Take a tablespoon of mixture: roll into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until all the mixture is gone.
7. In a large pan, heat a thin layer of oil on medium heat.
8. Place 6 to 8 falafels on the hot pan or however many you can fit with space between them
9. Flatten falafels down with the back of a spatula. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
9. Keep cooked falafels in a warm oven on low heat while the others cook.
Note: You can substitute the sriracha for ketchup if you don’t want the spice.
Credit: Recipe & Photography by Tamsin from @cupfulofkale, as posted on www.cupfulofkale.com/sweet-potato-and-corn-falafels
For more Vegan Recipes that Stand Out from the Crowd